The total number of people employed with seafood in fish restaura

The total number of people employed with seafood in fish restaurants in Peru was obtained by first excluding all restaurants that were selling other products than seafood. Seafood thus had to be the only source of animal protein sold in a restaurant for it to be included. This means that employment in this sector was underestimated significantly, as many (or most) restaurants sell seafood as only a component of their assortment. The total number of seafood

restaurants was obtained from Ipsos Apoyo [15] and Arellano Marketing [16], and the restaurants were ranked in terms of size (number of tables). Based on this, ‘typical restaurants’ were defined with a fixed number of employees per restaurant size. From field observations and interviews with members of the Peruvian Gastronomic Selleckchem Belnacasan Association (APEGA) and restaurant owners, the ‘typical consumption of fish’ per fish restaurant was then derived, and

via a weighted average estimated the overall employment per ton of seafood sold. All types of jobs in the restaurants were considered – from waiters to security guards. The total number of supermarkets across Peru in 2009 was obtained from official web pages and by interviews with brand managers in Lima (Supermercados Peruanos, Wong, and TOTUS). It was assumed that there were 1–2 people employed full time in the fresh fish section (depending on the supermarket brand and size) and that there were 1–2 people employed Pifithrin-�� research buy full time arranging and selling canned, cured, and frozen fish products in each supermarket, as well as 1–2 people involved with storing and distributing fish to the supermarkets from the wholesaler markets. Although many of the people that are employed in supermarkets move, organize and sell fish products at any given time, only a minor fraction of their salaries come from this exchange. Therefore, the employment per ton of seafood sold, was estimated based on the number of full time jobs per ton rather than fractions of a job per ton. Supermarket

employees validated these numbers. The total number of local retail markets (whether organized by a municipality, district, privately, or publicly) was enumerated in 1996 [17] and here extrapolated to account for their growth, assuming an overall increase of 10% by 2009. Based on field observations, it was estimated that ADAMTS5 20 percentage of stands sold fresh fish out of the total number of stands at markets at the coast, highlands, and jungle. It was also assumed (based on observations and interviews) that 80% of the fresh seafood was sold commercially through local markets at the coast and that the remaining 20% was sold commercially in the highlands and jungle. Freshwater fish (both wild caught and aquaculture produced) is significantly more frequent in the Andean and Amazonian markets as compared to seafood, and this was considered in the calculations, though only marine products are included in the results here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>